National Conference Call for
State Health Care Justice Leaders
hosted by the
Universal Health Care Action Network (UHCAN)
September 17, 2019
Reports from the Health Care Justice battlefield
• Be A Hero project – Ady Barkan’s series of presidential candidate health care interviews – Liz Jaff, Be A Hero Fund, @adybarkan
• Pressure builds on Congress to do something about the high cost of drugs – Peter Maybarduk, Director, Access to Medicines & Knowledge Economy Group at Public Citizen, @maybarduk
• Medical students and physicians mobilize against government denying flu vaccine to detained immigrants – Isaiah Cochran, President, American Medical Student Association, @amsapres
• 2019 Single Payer Strategy Conference, Oct. 18-20, Portland OR
Mark Dudzic, Labor Campaign for Single Payer, @LaborforSPayer
Announcement: Climate Strike: Friday, September 20th, #strikewithus
What can we expect from Congress on health care (if anything) this fall?
Osareman Okolo, Health Policy Advisor, Office of US Rep Jan Schakowsky (IL), #janschakowsky
Behind the headlines: Be on the lookout for health care attacks in the budget, appropriations and administrative processes this fall
Deborah Weinstein, Executive Director, Coalition for Human Needs, @CoalitionHN
Going the wrong direction:
• Private abortion clinics closing at alarming rate – Jay Thibodeau, Abortion Care Network, @AbortionCare
Communities Need Clinics (Abortion Care Network 1-pager)
• New Census data shows 2 million more uninsured – Jesse Cross-Call, Senior Policy Analyst, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, @jcrosscall
Report from a swing state: How do Virginians see the national health care debate?
Brian Johns, Executive Director, Virginia Organizing, @VAOrganizing
300,000 Virginians newly covered through Medicaid expansion (AP, 8/1/19)
‘UVA Has Ruined Us’: Health System Sues Thousands Of Patients, Seizing Paychecks And Claiming Homes (Kaiser Health News Report, 9/10/19)
Announcement: Medicare for All Resolutions Week of Action, Oct. 28-Nov. 3
Melinda St. Louis, Director, Public Citizen’s Medicare for All Campaign, @Public_Citizen
* * *
The agenda, notes and links to listen to the call online are emailed to subscribers to the
UHCAN listserv. Sign up for UHCAN’s listserv here.
UHCAN is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and nonpartisan organization.
All information shared on UHCAN calls is nonpartisan and in no way reflects an endorsement of, or opposition to, any candidate, political party or political action committee.