National Conference Call for State Health Care Justice Leaders
hosted by the
Universal Health Care Action Network (UHCAN)
July 14, 2020
Call Facilitator: Rachel DeGolia, UHCAN
What now? Centering racial justice in the work of the Health Care Justice movement
- Jennifer Epps-Addison, Co-Executive Director, Center for Popular Democracy, @popdemoc
- Ronald Coleman, Director of Policy and Advocacy, Health Access California, @healthaccess – Health Access Statement: Black Lives Matter (6/1/20)
What now? The fight for reproductive justice after the two Supreme Court decisions
Gretchen Borchelt, Vice-President for Reproductive Rights and Health, National Women’s Law Center, @nwlc – Winning June Medical Services, LLC v. Russo Won’t Stop Lawmakers From Coming for Your Reproductive Rights, (Cosmopolitan, 6/30/20); SCOTUS’s Birth Control Ruling Will Devastate Communities That Already Face Discrimination Every Day, (Cosmopolitan, 7/8/20)
What now? The “technical sneak attack” that will cut Social Security
Linda Benesch, Communications Director, Social Security Works, @SSWorks – Congress must act now to fix a Social Security COVID-19 glitch and expand, not cut, benefits (The Hill, 7/6/20)
Taking on pandemic profiteering at home and abroad
- Global movement to Free the Vaccine for Covid-19 – Merith Basey, Universities Allied for Essential Medicines, @uaem (Sing along with and share this new video!: #FreeTheVaccine)
- What we need to fight Covid-19 and beyond – Steve Kneivel, Advocate, Public Citizen’s Access to Medicines Program, @Public_Citizen – Make Medicines Work: Bust Up Pharma Monopolies!
2020 is an election year
- Vote 2020 – What to watch out for? – Jessica Jones Capparell, Policy and Legislative Affairs Senior Manager, League of Women Voters of the U.S., @LWV
- What do voters think about how the government is responding to Covid-19? – Adam Hoyer, Organizing Director, Protect Our Care, @ProtectOurCare – New polling from Coronavirus War Room/Protect Our Care
Protecting ALL essential workers during the pandemic
Haeyoung Yoon, Senior Director of Policy, National Domestic Workers Alliance, @domesticworkers – Petition: Urge your Senators to do their job and pass the HEROES Act!
* * *
The agenda, notes and links to listen to the call online are emailed to subscribers to the UHCAN listserv – Subscribe here.