National Conference Call for State Health Care Justice Leaders
hosted by the
Universal Health Care Action Network (UHCAN)
December 10, 2019
Call Facilitator: Rachel DeGolia, Executive Director, UHCAN, @UHCANnatl
What should the Health Care Justice Movement be debating now?
Hint: It’s NOT which Medicare for All plan is better
• Stephanie Kang, Health Policy Fellow, @RepJayapal, Office of U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal (WA)
– 12/10/19 hearing on proposals for universal health coverage from the Subcommittee on Health of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
– Medicare for All Will Take a Movement, Not a Politician, by Ady Barkan and Bonnie Costillo, (Newsweek, 11/26/19)
– Reeling progressives meet behind closed doors after ‘Medicare for All’ barrage (Politico, 11/20/19)
• Kerri Harris, Movement Director, Medicare for All NOW, @MFA_NOW – State lawmakers acknowledge lobbyists helped craft their op-eds attacking Medicare-for-all (Washington Post, 12/2/19)
Reproductive rights is a big 2020 election issue
• AMSA launches Reproductive Health Project
Sara Maria Jensen, Reproductive Health Fellow, @AMSANational, American Medical Student Association
• What’s behind the new wave of immoral anti-scientific abortion bills?
Kellie Copeland, Executive Director, NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio, @NARALOhio – Ohio Bill Says Doctors Who Perform Abortions Could Face Jail, Unless They Perform a Non-Existent Treatment (Time, 12/1/19)
Latest flashpoints in the fight for affordable medicines
Justin Mendoza, Senior Partnerships Manager, @FamiliesUSA, Families USA
Announcement: 2019 Open Enrollment on HealthCare.gov
Laura Packard, Get America Covered, @GetUSCovered
Senate budget bill could force deep cuts to health care programs
Ellen Nissenbaum, Senior Vice-President for Policy Analysis, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, @CenterOnBudget – Automatic Reconciliation an Undesirable Part of Enzi-Whitehouse Budget Process Bill (CBPP report)
What’s going on in the states
• Tennessee: State officials push forward on dangerous block grant for Medicaid
Keila Franks, Director of Medicaid Policy Advocacy, Tennessee Justice Center,
@TNJusticeCenter – Tennessee Becomes New Front In Fight To Overhaul Medicaid (The Hill, 12/1/19)
• California: Winning immediate health care victories AND pushing ahead for universal health care
Anthony Wright, Executive Director, Health Access, @healthaccess – Healthy California for All Commission
* * *
The agenda, notes and links to listen to the call online are emailed to subscribers to the UHCAN listserv. Sign up for UHCAN’s listserv HERE.
UHCAN is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and nonpartisan organization.
All information shared on UHCAN calls is nonpartisan and in no way reflects an endorsement of, or opposition to, any candidate, political party or political action committee.