National Conference Call for
State Health Care Justice Leaders
hosted by the
Universal Health Care Action Network (UHCAN)
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Gun violence is a political issue AND a public health issue
• Evan Saulino, MD, Board Chair, Doctors for America, @Drsforamerica
• Lydia Kuykendal, Engagement Director, Giffords, @GiffordsCourage
Taking on the Health Care Industrial Complex
• LGBTQ health care 50 years after Stonewall: Lessons of the AIDS Fight for the Pharma Rx fight
Gregg Gonsalves, HIV/AIDS activist and co-founder, Global Health Justice Partnership,
Yale University, @greggonsalves
• Lessons from California: Taking on powerful mega-hospital corporations
Mary June Diaz, Senior Policy and Legislative Advocate, Health Access CA, @healthaccess
• What does the fight over high drug prices look like in Congress?
Elizabeth Jurinka, Office of US Senator Ron Wyden, Senate Finance Committee, @RonWyden
• Announcement: People Over Pharma Profits National Day of Action Guide- Aug. 20
Getting to universal health care
• Making the case for Business for Medicare for All
Wendell Potter, President, Business for Medicare for All, @BusinessM4A
• Don’t assume that talking about Health Care for All automatically includes women’s health care
Tara Sweeney, National Institute for Reproductive Health, @nirhealth
Why the Mississippi immigration raids matter to the health care justice movement
Natalie Patrick-Knox, Senior Organizer for Immigrant and Worker Rights, Jobs with Justice, @JwJnational
ICE Raids Mississippi Plant After $3.75 Million Sexual Harassment Settlement (PayDay Report, 8/7/19)
* * *
The agenda, notes and links to listen to the call online are emailed to subscribers to the
UHCAN listserv. Sign up HERE.
UHCAN is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and nonpartisan organization.
All information shared on UHCAN calls is nonpartisan and in no way reflects an endorsement of, or opposition to, any candidate, political party or political action committee.